Monday, February 12, 2007

What's Cookin'? Hell's Kitchen Report

The sales office is open for business at the new "luxury" Archstone mini-city. 10th Avenue. 51st Street. Typical of the new structures lining 10th, and 42nd Street for that matter, the lobby is modeled after Wallpaper layouts circa 2000. I didn't check out the prices, but I'm sure you'll be getting the typical parquet floors, granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances for a bargain 2 grand studio...how chic. Ugh!!! Is it just me, or is anyone else unimpressed by all this boring, "luxury" new construction? Can't someone design a building with something to say? This mundane architecture is sucking the life out of this city. Where's the character? I want to see a building, even just one, that says, "Hello. Welcome to your new home" or even "Welcome to your friend's home." Instead, I get "Stay away! I think I'm too cool for school."

No comments: